The Urban League of the Upstate’s Comprehensive HUD-approved Housing Program provides one-on-one and group counseling that enable residents of the Upstate (Greenville, Anderson, Spartanburg, Pickens, Oconee, Union, Cherokee, and Laurens) to make informed decisions regarding their housing needs and goals. These counseling sessions are categorized into six (6) categories:
- Evaluating mortgage readiness
- Determining the price of homes affordable to the buyer
- Assessing and improving credit quality
- Creating a household budget
- Providing guidance on searching for a home, the purchasing process, selecting a mortgage, fair housing laws, and applying for grants or special loan programs
- Educating the homeowner on the consequences of default and foreclosure
- Loss mitigation
- Budgeting and credit
- Restructuring debt
- Obtaining re-certification for mortgage subsidy
- Establishing reinstatement plans
- Rights and responsibilities of tenants
- HUD’s rent subsidy programs
- Application procedures for rent subsidy
- Lease legislation
- Rental procedures
- Grievance procedures
- Share housing and fair housing laws
- Rent relief
- Landlord/tenant laws
- Eviction procedures
Referral to housing sources that can assist with placing the homeless, relocation, and case management support
Counseling designed to educate consumers regarding their fair housing rights and how to recognize and report housing discrimination practices.
Assistance provided to those who may need help in reducing energy waste, developing an energy conservation lifestyle or physically improving the energy efficiency of their homes or apartments.
The Housing Counseling Program helps to bridge the gap in minority home ownership and address the lack of affordable housing in the Upstate. The program also provides one-time (per year) rental or mortgage assistance for those in need.
For more information, please contact us at 864.244.3862 or send an email to Housing Counseling.